Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The case of the injured Chi

So, bright and early Sunday morning, Drew and I were preparing for our shopping adventure to the happiest place on earth, aka IKEA. So, I'm minding my own business, straightening my hair when I notice that my usually piping hot Chi is suddenly cool. What the heck. Upon further inspection I discover that is in fact broken. No more heating. On any other day, this would have been completely devastating, but on this particular day, I was so excited about going to IKEA that nothing could bring me down - not even a broken Chi. Drew walks in the room and I exclaim "my chi broke!" I'm clearly bummed (not devastated) and he is very concerned about this. He says how sorry he is that it broke and seconds my statement that it does in fact suck that my hair is half really straight and half kind of straight. Like I said - very concerned. I'm thinking to myself, this is why I married him, because he really understands the importance of hair products.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. After talking to the Chi expert herself, aka my sister, I decide to perform an early morning surgery on my Chi with hot pink duct tape. It fixes everything - because it's pink - duh. I'm happy to report that the Chi pulled through and came back to life before my very eyes! It was a miracle!! It made for a very excellent Monday morning, that's for sure.

So, Drew calls mid morning, and when I answer he asks me if the duct tape made my Chi work again. I say, of course it did - it's not just duct tape - it's hot pink duct tape - it has magical powers. Here's how the conversation went after that:

D: Ummm....I have a confession to make.
J: OK (thinking to myself: if you ate my IKEA cinnamon roll, you are dead meat!)
D: I broke your Chi. (you can hear the sadness in his voice - poor thing)
J: (relieved that the cinnamon roll is still, in fact, in tact, and trying not to laugh) What?!?
D: I broke your Chi. Saturday morning. I knocked it off the counter and it was about to fall in the toilet and the only way to save it was to grab it by the cord. I was hoping it would still work. I'm really, really, really so sorry.
J: (on the verge of hysterical laughter) It's OK! I fixed it - it totally works, just like my brilliant sister said it would. Ryan should hurry up and put a ring on it before someone else scoops her and her infinite knowledge of Chi repair up!
D: I feel really, really bad. I'm so sorry! I'm going to buy you a new one.
J: It's really OK, you don't have to buy me a new one....unless you just want to....they make them in pink, you know.
D: I know, I found one online. It's the best of 2009. But it's not a Chi. But I found a coupon for it! And it's pink and I am going to buy it for you.
J: (laughing out loud) It's really OK. Really. I fixed it! (I was clearly proud of myself for this)
D: But I don't want you to have a ghetto Chi.
J: (cannot. stop. laughing.)

Sadly, this is where the conversation had to end because I had to go to a meeting. Lame.
My husband is so sweet to me!

Later that day, we got even when I broke his drill (except I for real broke it, not you-can-fix-it-with-duct-tape broke it) trying to install IKEA cabinet hardware. Long story. And yes, I am aware that you don't have to use a drill to instal cabinet knob things. They shouldn't put a picture of a drill on the directions, though. Dumb Sweds. I'm just sayin.

1 comment:

  1. hilarious conversation!

    Ikea furniture is horrid to put together. We bought a desk and bookcases there a few years ago. The book cases went pretty well, but the desk is a secretary desk so it has MOVING PARTS! not good for an Ikea item. We worked and worked on it, and finally gave up and had to get a drink (or several). Days later, I was ready to pitch the whole thing out, but Kevin wanted to take another shot at it, we did...and it is together and functional, but not very pretty...moral of hte story for me - no more ikea furniture for the Tuckers :)

    ReplyDelete